Thursday, August 19, 2010

Special Needs and Working Out in the pool

It is always my goal that no matter what issues a person has that they should be able to get something out of my class.  

I currently have several ladies in my evening classes that have health issues that I have been thinking a lot about.  One has had a stroke, has diabetes and has impaired vision in one eye.  One is an amputee.  With the help of my terrific husband (who has martial arts and gym experience) we have been giving the first lady one-on-one coaching and encouraging her to be active and gain confidence in what she is able to do.  The second lady got herself a buoyancy belt and has been able to do some exercises with the class, especially using the barbells.  They are both making strides and it's terrific to see them grow in strength and mobility!

My goals for both of them is to increase their confidence in the water and increase their command over their bodies.

I have a lot of respect for those health care professionals that work in the therapy biz, but when the money runs out or they feel they have reached the end of what they can do, the folks end up in my class. It is very gratifying to be able to include these special ladies in my group and I sincerely hope they continue after our sessions have ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment